Saturday, June 11, 2016

Nobody Sings Dylan Like Dylan Cover of the Day:
"I Dreamed I Saw St. Augustine" by Eric Clapton

 

For several years, I periodically compiled and shared Bob Dylan cover CDs by various artists under the title Nobody Sings Dylan Like Dylan through the site dimeadozen.org. (The track listing for the whole series is here.*) The last one, Volume 40, was done about four years ago, and I moved on to other things. But I didn't stop collecting Dylan covers. Now, I'm going to try sharing them, one a day, here on Small Figures in a Vast Expanse. If people seem to like getting them this way, I'll continue; if not, we can all move on again.

First up is Eric Clapton doing "I Dreamed I Saw St. Augustine," live in Tokyo on April 19, 2016. (It's also on his new studio album I Still Do, so if you like it here you can buy it there.) Clapton's been covering Dylan a long time, including a great version of "Knockin' On Heaven's Door" and a duet with Dylan on "Sign Language" from his 1976 album No Reason to Cry. I got to see him at the 30th anniversary Bobfest live at Madison Square Garden, where he did beautiful versions of "Love Minus Zero/No Limit" and "Don't Think Twice It's Alright," as well as taking a verse on "My Back Pages." His version of "I Dreamed I Saw St. Augustine" is great, and it's a song that doesn't get covered much, so I'm happy to start this new series with it. Enjoy, comment, sign up here for updates, or follow me on twitter.

Thanks to Tom and Jerry for taping and sharing this and The Naniwa Hot Brothers for sound editing!


I Dreamed I Saw St. Augustine (Live) - Eric Clapton **

**Apologies to those who had trouble with the dropbox link. I have switched to sendspace. Please let me know in the comments if there is any trouble with this one.

* I've since changed computers and don't have these in any organized way, so I can't repost them. But they're out in the world--if there's something you are looking for, please post in the comments and someone may be able to help you out. That goes for any tracks prior to this one on this blog too.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds great, but I couldn't guess the password.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Apologies to those who had trouble with the dropbox link. I have switched to sendspace. Please let me know in the comments if there is any trouble with this one.

    ReplyDelete