Monday, October 31, 2011

Suzanne Vega and Ron Sexsmith Cover Elvis Costello


When I was younger, so much younger than today, my musical pantheon consisted of the Beatles, Bob Dylan, and Bruce Springsteen. The fourth artist to make it into that exclusive club was Elvis Costello, whose spitfire singing and melodic range and sneering Buddy Holly persona were like a rock star I would have created in a science laboratory if I had one. I was still at the peak of my Elvis Costello fanhood when the albums Imperial Bedroom and Punch the Clock came out, though the latter album probably marked the start of his decline from deity to talented artist.

Suzanne Vega and Ron Sexsmith are also very talented artists, and here they each cover a song from one of the aforementioned albums. Give 'em a listen.

 Beyond Belief - Suzanne Vega (London, 6-1-90)

Everyday I Write the Book - Ron Sexsmith (McCabe's, Santa Monica, 10-12-96)

No comments:

Post a Comment